Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Storytelling Week 14: A Jealous Queen

I am a queen of a country

I am a wife of the king and man I love.

Most importantly, I am the mother of my son the prince.

There is no greater love than the love I have for my son. I will do anything for him no matter the cost. I have killed many people who are a threat to him. He of course doesn't know why they died. He is too kind hearted and would resent me. I just want to protect him and his ascent to the throne. I am the only woman in his life. Which is how I want it stay for a little longer.

I woke up the next to find my son to eat breakfast with like I do every morning. The dining was empty except for our servants. They informed me that my son has set off on a journey to find a princess to marry. I'm enraged with the news. I search for the king to find out if he approved of this.

I wait for months for my sons return. Nothing can make me happy until, I hear the castle door open and my son walks in looking as sad as I look.

"My son!" the queens exclaims. The queen is immediately concerned for her son's sadness.

"I never found a princess mother." her son says.  "She can't just be any princess, she has to be a true princess."

I am ecstatic my son journey was failed. I'll keep him busy with other things we can do together, the queen thinks.

My son and I are constantly going on trips and bonding when one day, a storm came. The entire castle was boarded up. As the door was being boarded there a was a knock. The king ran to the door worried who could be there in this outrageous storm.

Behind the door was  princess. The poor girl was soaked from head to toe. The prince jumped up and showed her the best hospitality.

This can't be happening, the queen thinks. I can't trust some girl that claims to be a princess that shows up on my door step for my son. I can already see the look of love in my sons eye. I can feel my heart breaking. I must do something. I'll have to prove that she is a true princess. I will not allow my son another woman in his life is she is a fraud!

I slip away from my family as they sit around getting to know the mystery princess. Princesses have to be very sensitive. It's an important part of being a princess. I think I will put a pea under her mattress but I will put 20 more mattresses on top of it. Surely she won't feel that.

The next morning at breakfast, I notice the princesses appearance. She looks awful.

"How did you sleep?" I ask the princess.
"Horribly, there was something under my mattress." the princess responds.

It was at that moment the queen's heart broke for she knew her son was going to marry that princess. She is a true princess.
The Princess and the Pea. Source.

Author's Note:
I decided to rewrite the Princess and the Pea but from the queen's point of view. I just wanted this story to have a main character. I thought it needed something more. I thought a jealous mother would be a good reason. She wants to get rid of the princess but not just because she doesn't know her status but because she doesn't want another woman in her son's life. I was somewhat inspired to write this one based off of a show that I have been watching called Reign. It is about a mother and queen who doesn't want her son to marry a certain queen. I think a mother's love can be extreme. I haven't done a rewrite in awhile and really enjoyed it!

Bibliography:
Fairy Tales and Stories by Hans Christian Andersen, translated by H. P. Paull (1872).

2 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle! I enjoyed your story, as usual. I was not familiar with the story before but I liked your version. I have witnessed some over bearing mothers in life as well. I had a hard time following at first because you changed from first person to third person several times throughout the story. I think you just need to make sure you read it out loud. No big deal, sometimes I do that myself. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,
    I really liek what you have done with this story. I like that you put it in to the point of view of the mother. I also like how you made the mother super protective and jealous of her son. I think this is something that all moms go through. they want their sons to have the best woman possible. anyways good work

    ReplyDelete